Tuesday, September 13, 2011

First ever print

This was my very first print that I developed myself in the darkroom. The shot was taken in downtown San Jose, right in front of Martin Luther King Jr. Library.

An Indian family with father, mother and a son was standing together. As the father was handing out fliers about some spiritual gathering, the son was playing the little tabla and singing at the same time. I approached the father and asked whether it's okay to take the picture, which is the hardest part in street photography because once people realize there is a lens pointing at them, most of the time it can ruin the naturalness of the moment and won't get the shot you want. Later on, I learned to just take a shot first and ask them afterwards and if they don't want, you can delete it in front of them. 

I didn't know about filtering system on the enlarger so you don't see much contrast in this picture. However, at the moment when my first ever image popped up in the developer, I felt such a thrilling joy. My emotion at that moment is sealed together with this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment